Don’t Let Christmas “Bah Humbug” Your 2019!
Hi Money Masters,
Ho Ho Ho, everyone! Wow, 2018 is almost at an end and Christmas is literally just around the corner! But, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be thinking about the new year already. On the contrary, now is the PERFECT time to be thinking about 2019. Keeping the new year at the front of our minds will help us stay on track as we go through the holidays in the upcoming weeks.
At this time of year, it is easy to have the mentality of “I will start fresh next year” or “let’s end 2018 with a bang” when it comes to money. Folks are tempted to spend more on gifts or travel or luxury. Instead of ending 2018 with less money, why not start 2019 with that extra saved money?! Here’s how…
Where To Start:
- Examine your priorities: Think about what you want for you and your family. Aside from the basics such as food, shelter, education; do you want more things, more experiences, more memories? Keep this in mind when allocating funds for holidays.
- Make a budget. Figure out what you can afford to spend on family and friends and stick with that amount.
- Consider giving handmade items to reduce your expenses. Use your creativity and talents! These are thoughtful gifts and will be appreciated as much, or even more, than something purchased.
- Before you shop, write a list and avoid impulse buying.
- Shop with your cash and leave your credit cards at home. A good alternative to using credit, is taking advantage of layaway programs.
List your goals for 2019. Go ahead, write them down! 😉 Once you realize how much money you’ve saved just in these few weeks you can think about how to use it toward your 2019 goals.
- Add to or start an emergency fund. Even if it’s enough to only pay one bill, it might come in handy.
- Invest or open a high-interest savings account.
- Start a savings account for next Christmas (which will put you ahead for 2020. Do you sense a pattern here?…)
I know it’s easy to get swept up in the mania of the holidays, but just remember what your priorities are and keep your goals in front of you. There is always a way to find savings no matter how big or small. It might even be as simple as putting an item back on the shelf from your cart or editing down your gift recipient list. You just need to stay true to YOUR FINANCIAL SITUATION and your 2019 will thank you!
Wishing you happy holidays and financial success always,